Dean of Information Technology and Multimedia Studies
Professor T.C. Bassoppo-Moyo
Ph.D. - Instructional Technology and Design (Florida State University)
About the Faculty
Zimbabwe has a growing Information and Communications industry. The sustained growth of that sector is among other issues reliant on human capital development. Currently this industry is serviced by graduates from conventional universities, technical colleges and polytechnics. The Faculty of Information Technology and Multimedia Communication exists to empower students with relevant skills to meet these industrial challenges and needs through open distance learning pedagogies.
Today, the computing field has grown into a number of distinct bodies of knowledge. These include Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering and many other variations.
Information Technology (IT) as a body of knowledge requires specialised training and orientation. Today there is a glaring training gap in the information and communication technologies industry. Most universities are offering Computer Science.
The Zimbabwe Open University, with its experience in rapid programme development and open and distance learning, is a good candidate for filling the training gap in information technology. The Zimbabwe Open University offers four degree programmes namely:
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Software Engineering.
- Bachelor of Science Honours in Multimedia Technology
- Bachelor of Science Honours in Network Computing
"To be a renowned world class centre of academic and technological excellence in Information, communication and multimedia technologies (ICMT)"
"To develop high quality human capital, innovation and services in ICMT that will contribute to the nation’s wealth creation"
To be a premier Institute of Higher Learning in ICMT.
The following are the objectives of the Faculty:
- Produce excellent IT Professionals and graduates to fulfill the need of IT industry, particularly for the Multimedia, software Engineering and Cyber technologies
- Promote activities and efforts towards internationalisation of the Faculty
- Increase research and consultancy activities which are focused, relevant and of high quality
- Develop specialised programmes to promote IT culture in society
- Increase activities to promote innovation, commercialisation and entrepreneurship in the field of software and content development.
- Develop and implement ICMT quality management concepts for the Faculty and society
The graduate of the Faculty
- An ability to apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline
- An ability to analyse a problem, identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution
- An ability to design, implement, and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or programme to meet desired needs
- An ability to function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal
- An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organisations, and society
- Recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in continuing professional development
- An ability to use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practice.
- An ability to use and apply current technical concepts and practices in the core information technologies.
- An ability to identify and analyse user needs and take them into account in the selection, creation, evaluation and administration of computer-based systems.
- An ability to effectively integrate IT-based solutions into the user environment.
- An understanding of best practices and standards and their application.
- An ability to assist in the creation of an effective project plan.
The Faculty consists of five departments as listed below:
- Information Technology
- Business Computing
- Computer Systems and Networks
- Software Engineering
- Multimedia Communication